Pomelo Salad .
Pomelo Salad or as it is known here Yum Som O is a wonderful light refreshing salad made with Thai Grapefruit( Pink Grapefruit) can be substituted and there is very little difference in flavour.
2 Pink Grapefruit or 1 Pomelo.
12-16 peeled shrimps.
1/4 cup finely sliced shallots.
1/4 cup fresh Thai Basil or Mint.
1/4 cup Fresh coriander.
1/4 cup unsalted peanuts/cashews.
2 tbsp shredded coconut.
1 Red Chilli finely sliced.
Half to 1 lime.
3 tbsp Fish Sauce.
1-2 tbsp palm sugar.
1 -2 red chillies finely sliced.
Kaffir Lime leaf very finely sliced for garnish.
- Set a pot of water to boil on the stove. Add shrimp and boil just a few minutes, until shrimp turns pink and plump and firm to the touch. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Place shredded coconut in a dry frying pan or wok over medium-high heat and stir until coconut turns light golden brown and fragrant. Tip coconut into a small bowl to cool and set aside.Repeat with shallots frying in a little oil until golden and crispy tip into small bowl and set aside to cool.
- Prepare your grapefruit or pomelo, removing as much of the white peel as possible from the fruit. Break into bite-size pieces – 3 to 4 cups is a good amount. Set prepared fruit in a salad bowl.
- Add to the bowl: cucumber, basil/mint, coriander, and fresh chili.
- Combine all dressing ingredients together in a cup, stirring well to dissolve the sugar.
- To put salad together: Add shrimp to the salad bowl, then pour over the dressing. Toss well to combine. Add most of the toasted coconut ,shallots and nuts, reserving a little for garnishing, then toss again. Taste-test the salad for a balance of sweet/sour/spicy/salty. Adjust to your liking, adding more sugar if too sour. For more depth of flavor, add a little Fish Sauce . Your salad is now ready to serve. Top with reserved coconut,nuts and shredded lime leaf, and ENJOY!
- Tip: Like most Thai salad dressings, this is an oil-free dressing, so it doesn’t appear to ‘cling’ as well as oil-based dressings, naturally collecting at the bottom of your salad bowl. This isn’t a problem – just be sure to toss a little more than you would for a regular salad in order to saturate ingredients with the dressing.
This salad is better served and eaten immediately, the fresher the better. If preparing for a party, keep the dressing apart from the salad until you’re ready to eat, then toss them together just before serving.
I do hope you enjoy as this is one of my favorite salads, I do shred my Pomelo much finer though rather than having too chunky. But as with anything it is personal preference.
We now have 4 days holiday as it’s Asalha Puja which is one of the national budha days where no alcohol can be sold and all government buidings are closed, a bit like our Bank Holidays in the UK ….so it will be BBQ on the beach until next time have fun and be happy . Love you all xx