This is one of my favorite Thai soups and the first time I have made it. It also brings back memories of a certain lady..Keeleigh who when she visited us could not get enough of this fabulous soup.
- 2 litres of water
- 4 stalks of lemongrass
- 1 inch chunk of galangal
- 10 kaffir lime leaves
- 10 Thai chilies
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 500gm Prawns
- 300 grams of oyster mushrooms
- 2 medium tomatoes cut into quarters.
- 2 white onions (medium-sized) cut into large chunks.
- 1 and half teaspoons of sugar
- 7 – 10 tablespoons of fish sauce (depending on your taste)
- Juice of 5 -8 limes.
- Handful of cilantro .
N.B Next time I will use shallots instead of white onions and I recommend using lowest amount of limes and fish sauce and Taste! Adjust if necessary as everyone’s taste varies.
- First thing to do is put about 2 litres of water in a large pot to boil.
- Then I like to start by squeezing my limes. This is not the first step of the recipe, but it’s best to have your limes squeezed so when you need them later, you don’t need to rush to squeeze them all.
- Take your stalks of lemongrass, and first tear off the outermost leaf and throw it out. Then, I like to use a rolling-pin or the handle end of a knife to lightly pound the lemongrass to release the flavors. Then just slice it diagonally into 1 inch strips or so.
- Take about 1 thumb sized chunk of the root part of galangal, and chop it into slices.
- Coarsely break about 10 kaffir lime leaves – no need to cut them, just tear them – which is going to help release their flavor.
- Peel about 5 cloves of garlic.
- I used about 10 Thai bird chilies for this recipe, but you can use however many you’d like. First, take off the stem, and then you can either just slice them in two pieces, or give them a little pound on your cutting board like I did (just be careful of flying seeds). You can also remove the seeds if you’d still like the chilli flavor but not as much heat.
- Throw the lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, garlic and chillies into the water.
- You can put the lid on just so it starts to boil which releases the herb flavours quicker.
- Now prepare your prawns I remove everything except for the tail…..others put in whole prawns…personal preference.
- Boil your soup with all the herbs in it for about 10 minutes.
- Then add your mushrooms, which you should pre rinse beforehand.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and onions.
- Cook for further 6-8 minutes.
- Now add prepared prawns and cook for 2-3 mins( if overcooked the prawns will sink to the bottom of the pan. If you get any scum on the surface of soup it’s from the prawns then just skim.
- Remove from heat and stir in fish sauce, lime juice,sugar and cilantro.
Taste and adjust if necessary.
This delicious soup is now ready to serve.
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as we do and remember add the smallest amount of fish sauce and lime juice and taste and build , taste and build until you get the right level of salty and sour for you 🙂
Until next time stay safe, have fun and laugh a lot 🙂